The web is a busy space. Online users are inundated with choices when it comes to what content to read, who to follow and which brands to interact with. You can tell a lot about someone by their browsing activity, how they engage online and the people and brands they choose to follow, giving businesses countless opportunities to reach the right target audience by appealing to them on a more personal level.
Influencer marketing is one way to reach out to your ideal audience with the help of a celebrity, personality or expert that they already know, trust and follow.
Why work with an influencer?
Below are just a few of the reasons why so many brands are choosing to work with influencers:
- Increase your reach. When you work with an influencer you automatically increase your reach as there’s a good chance that you’ll be marketing to their fans and followers too.
- Reach an engaged audience. An influencer’s audience is already engaged so they are paying attention to what they have to say. If an influencer mentions your brand, there’s a much better chance that the right people will pay attention to your marketing message.
- Generate unique content. When you’re working with an influencer you’re generating fresh, unique content that will stand out.
Advice for running better online influencer campaigns
If you’re thinking about including an influencer marketing campaign in your 2017 strategy, below are a few useful tips.
- Set some clear objectives. Not only will your objectives help you develop and track your campaign but it will also make sure that you can brief your chosen influencer correctly so that they’re also clear on what you’re looking to achieve.
- Reach isn’t everything. When choosing an influencer it’s important to not base your decision on reach alone. Just because an influencer has a massive online following doesn’t mean that they are the right choice. A large following does help but you need to look at how they engage with their followers, if their values match your own and if their personality is the right fit for your brand.
- Choose the right social platforms. Before you begin your influencer search, decide which social platforms your ideal target audience spends the most time on. You can then start your search on those platforms instead of wasting your time searching for influencers on sites that aren’t too popular with your audience.
- Work with your influencer. When you partner with an expert or local personality it’s important to work with them when developing your campaign and your content. If you leave them out of the process you might find that the content doesn’t sound like it was written by them. Their personality and unique style needs to shine through in your campaign if you want it to be effective. You should of course lay down other specifics such as how often you need them to post and engage with your audience. You should also provide them with some content guidelines so that you aren’t deviating from your brand values and objectives.
- Make promotion a two-way street. As much as you will be promoting your influencer campaign from your side, arrange for your influencer to work in some promotion on their side too for that extended reach.