As of June 2016, Instagram reached a massive milestone of 500 million active users. Instagram has also officially left Twitter in the dust in terms of number of active users. It’s no wonder that brands are flocking to get a piece of this powerful pie.
Is Instagram right for your business?
If you’re a brand that’s thinking about joining Instagram, here’s what you need to ask yourself to decide whether this platform is right for you.
- Is your core audience under the age of 34? The majority of Instagram users are 34 and younger.
- Is your brand able to create unique, visual content that your audience would find appealing?
- Are your competitors on Instagram and how are they performing?
Top 8 tips for Instagram branding success
If you’ve decided to take the Instagram plunge, here are some solid tips that you can implement to increase your chances of achieving the very best results for your brand:
- Get behind a hashtag. If you’re running an Instagram campaign around a specific product launch or event, create a hashtag that’s all your own and that people can use in their own posts in order to spread the word about your brand. Another approach would be to research and use trending hashtags that are relevant to your brand.
- Make use of social media stats. Once your brand starts posting on Instagram and even running paid advertising, keep a close eye on your stats. Your stats will help you decide which posts are receiving the most engagement and the best time to post too.
- Don’t forget the call to action. Running an ad on Instagram? Make use of the fact that you can also insert a clear call to action in your ad that will encourage users to take that next step.
- Avoid looking like a sales pitch. Instagram is about getting creative and telling stories that users can relate to. If you’re going to use your Instagram account to purely push posts that look like mobile brochures, your success rate won’t be very high.
- Find out what your audience wants. As you start your Instagram journey, take the time to research what your ideal audience is up to on the platform. What are their interests and what other accounts are they following? Now find a way to combine their interests and your offering and turn it into relevant content.
- Promote your account. Let your audience know that you’re on Instagram. Place a link to your page on your website and in your email signature.
- Partner with influencers. Influencer marketing is one of the quickest ways to grow your following on Instagram. Find out which public figures your audience is following and approach someone who would suite your brand and what it stands for.
- Get your audience involved. Not only is user-generated content powerful but it’s one of the best ways to spread the word about your brand without having to put in too much effort.